Athabaskan Indians have lived in the vicinity of the Salcha River (a tributary of the Tanana River) since before recorded history. Lt. Henry Allen's 1885 reconnaissance party was one of the first non-native groups to visit the area. Munson's Roadhouse was established near the Salcha River in 1904, and St. Luke's Episcopal mission was started nearby in 1908. The Salcha Athabascans, who had been semi-nomadic, gradually settled permanently near the roadhouse and mission. This small native cemetery is located on a bluff overlooking Munson's Slough.