This five-story, 1,065 ton structure was a floating gold mine, capable of tearing gold-
bearing gravel from 35 feet below water level, and recovering over 90 percent of the
gold it contained. Built in 1927-28 for the Fairbanks Exploration Company, this
dredge churned up the gravels in the Goldstream and Engineer Creek drainages for
32 years. During that time it moved a total distance of 4.5 miles. The dredge is now a
National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark.