Northern Commecial Store--Manley, Alaska
Pen & Ink on Bristol Board, Image size 8.5"x 11"
At the time of the Fairbanks gold rush there were trading posts throughout Alaska. Some were
small independent operations, but many were owned and operated by the Alaska Commercial
Company, which also owned a navigation and transportation operation. The A.C. Company,
which became the Northern Commecial Company in 1922, provided groceries and general
mechandise to the local population. In many small settlements, the N.C. Company store also
acted as the post office, social center and bank. The N.C. Company store in Manley remained
open until the mid 1960s when declining population forced it to close.