May 23, 1997
U.S. Condemns Massacre in Burundi
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The United States condemned on Friday the massacre this week of at least 66 Hutu refugees who had recently been repatriated to Burundi.
State Department spokesman Nicholas Burns said evidence suggests that at least some of the assailants were members of the former armed forces of Rwanda and militiamen from that country.
He said simultaneous attacks took place in three camps for former refugees who had recently returned from Congo.
Medical personnel reported that all of the victims had been killed with axes, machetes or knives.