National Catholic Reporter

October 20, 1995

page 7

Settlement for abuse awarded

The Christian Brothers and the Newfoundland government have awarded 28-year-old former orphanage resident an out-of-court settlement as part of an ongoing investigation into sexual abuse at a Catholic orphanage in Newfoundland.

Shane Earle alleged he had been sexually and physically abused for 15 years while he was a government ward at the Mount Cashel orphanage in St.John's. There are 30 similar lawsuits facing the provincial government and the Christian Brothers.

The Christian Brothers closed the orphanage after more than 20 former residents came forward with accounts of abuse they had suffered at the hands of order members as far back as the 1970s. Nine Christian Brothers have since been convicted.

Another 10 priests in the St. John's archdiocese were jailed for or charged with abusing children between 1988 and 1992 .


December 13, 1996

page 7


Seven more men, including six Christian Brothers, were charged with physical and sexual abuse of boys at an orphanage run by the Catholic lay order in Canada, The Ottawa Citizen reported. The charges are the latest chapter in a seven-year investigation of abuse at the Mount Cashel orphanage in Newfoundland.

Charges involved alleged abuse of 17 former residents that occurred between 1950 and 1964. Four of the accused now live in the United States and must be extradited.

Nine Christian Brothers have already been convicted of physical and sexual abuse of boys in their care during the 1970s. The Canadian Christian Brothers declared bankruptcy in October and plan to make its assets, totaling about $4.3 million, available to the victims.

Meanwhile, the day before a civil trial was to begin Dec. 3, an out-of-court settlement was reached between the Newfoundland government and 39 abuse victims. Most of the victims accepted the government's offer, believed to exceed $10 million, thus settling the suit against the province and the Christian Brothers. The men who sought damages for abuse had lived at the orphanage as government wards.

Inspector Des Peddle of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said he believed the investigation was coming to a close.